Sunday, October 16, 2011

Flyswatter Focused Frenzy: A Simple Lesson in Spiritual Warfare Revealed

Yesterday I was assisting a group of ladies in throwing a baby shower. There were several flies taking off and landing on our beautiful buffet spread. They were landing on the covered saran wrapped dishes. It was almost time for the event to start, but there was no flyswatter in sight. So, I grabbed an extra thick black graded plastic spatula for the available serving utensils and went to town. Swat! Swat! Swat! I killed each fly on the first attempt. My friends marveled at my adroitness, but I knew on the inside that had this been at home, it would have been swat, miss, swat, miss, etc. I usually get the flies sooner or later, but at home, I have to hunt them down, chasing them from window to window. What was different about this fly swatting showdown, and why did I call myself the “flyswatter diva” that day? If you’re like me and most ladies, you feel like you have to analyze almost everything.


That’s exactly what happened. The ladies began to marvel at my skill in killing the flies. I told them it was luck. They compared me to them and their abilities to kill flies at their homes. One lady said she should call me to exterminate their flies at home. We chuckled. I bet they had no idea that I was thinking to myself I was a fly slayer at church but certainly not at home. So, I let this secret out.


We began to examine the spatula’s design. Was it the thicker gridded design that made the difference? I even said why haven’t they tested this design to the traditional flyswatter plaid, short-weaved, tight design? Yes, this was all in pure fun, but was the lesson for me and for you? What was different about me?

When I think back, I was determined to kill those fly on the first swing. This is what made the difference. We were ten minutes away from starting. It was a showdown, and I won. I had no doubt I could kill those flies- one after another- I put those nasty flies in their place. Focused, I waited for them to land and swatted with explicit strokes. You see, I did not want to get any fly guts on the food or table. The ladies were coming in and I knew that if they saw me killing flies on open food etc, they would be disgusted and not eat. I had a mission and little time to complete it!


I see a simple lesson here as it relates to spiritual warfare in the kingdom of God. God has given us tools and weapons to fight the enemy. Sometimes we play with these tools or use them improperly. God wants us to swat the enemy with full authority in Christ the first time around. No swatting amiss. Instead, determined, focused, and executed swats that are delivered with urgency and authority. Do you believe that Christ lives in you? Do you believe that He has given you authority in His name to fight the wicked darts that come from the devil? If you do, get swatting and winning. Be a devil slayer and swat with fierce intensity. Fight the good fight!

No comments:

Blog Archive