Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Reflections on Waiting: Six Principles Revealed

In searching out the word: wait today on BibleGateway.com, I found that there are 159 references (wait, waiting, waited). That’s a tremendous amount, and I went digging for truth today, I found some!

While the above picture looks peaceful and positive, there are negative connotations associated with this word. I don’t want to wait to save money to buy an outfit; I don’t wait to wait in the fast food line. Face it, we are accustomed to not waiting for things. We don’t have the patience to wait for things anymore because we have been conditioned in a fast passed society who expects things to be given to them now. On the other hand, we feel that we need to deliver things right away too. The pressure to keep up at times is overwhelming.

There are positive consequences to waiting though difficult to endure. When you seek the Lord for an answer and you wait to move until you get it, you are sure to be walking in safety because you waited. Never mind putting decisions into your own hand; it is better to wait. It is also better to wait because God is in control; He knows what is ahead, and we don’t. So, you want to buy that house, but what you did not know was that there is a clandestine mold problem growing under the tiles in the bathroom shower and hidden up the walls. He wants to save you the time and money for these repairs, which you don’t have. He has something better for you. How would you know that? You wait until He speaks to you to put in an offer on a house. That’s how. We don’t always have the why, but the principle of waiting is crucial in not only understanding but in practicing. Whatever situation you are waiting in right now, rest assured that God is on the throne. Wait on him and be of good courage (PS 27:14). There are six principles in the Word on waiting that I found this morning. I hope they admonish and encourage you.

1. Be still. I know it’s hard but that’s what you have to do. Wait for Him to act! Psalm 37:7 (NLT) says to “be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes.” Thus, He also tells us not to worry. We can trust Him!
2. The Lord is waiting for you to come to Him. It says in Isaiah 30:18 (NLT) that “the LORD must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the LORD is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help.
3. There is a blessing that comes to those who wait (IS 30:18)!
4. Wait for an answer! Psalm 38:15 (NLT) says, “For I am waiting for you, O LORD. You must answer for me, O Lord my God.
5. Waiting can be exhausting! There are signs that you are waiting, but it doesn’t mean you won’t make it because of them. Hang in there and wait! Psalm 69:3 (NLT) says, “I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched. My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me.
6. God will strengthen you as you wait; the rescue party may not have been sent yet, but remember He is in control! It says in Psalm 59:9 (NLT) that “You are my strength; I wait for you to rescue me, for you, O God, are my fortress.” Even the seas wait for God’s instruction (IS 42:4 NLT).

Whatever you are going through, it is better to wait. He will answer eventually. Tell yourself right now: I am waiting for You to move on my behalf. I am going to trust you!

References:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+27:14&version=NLT

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+37:7&version=NLT

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+30:18&version=NLT

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+38:15&version=NLT

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+69:3&version=NLT

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+59:9&version=NLT

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+42:4&version=NLT

No comments:

Blog Archive